Believe okra is slimy? Believe again, with this spicy grilled okra– crispy, creamy, and totally scrumptious. Plus, the top cooking pointers to keep your fresh okra slime-free!
Let’s take a little break from summer desserts today, and talk about one of my absolute, all time, most preferred foods: grilled okra.
A little unexpected? Possibly. I’m not from a location or culture that frequently cooks with okra; in reality, I’m uncertain if I ever even tried okra before I was in my 20s.
And yet now, as an adult, I.love.okra … as long as it’s roasted or grilled. Since they are so dang tasty.), (Or dehydrated in those crispy okra treats from Trader Joe’s which may be laced with something unlawful.
I owe my current love affair with okra to our CSA few years earlier, who evacuated a couple of pounds of okra into our weekly box. I had never made okra before and wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. I did what I do with all the vegetables that leave me stumped: toss them on the grill.
Suffice to say, I was.hooked.Now I spend my summer seasons grilling as much fresh okra as I can find, and roasting it in the winter season (a close 2nd to barbecuing).
More Healthy Recipes & Diet Tips
Are You Ready To Learn Valuable Information That Will Help You Get Rid of Excess Belly Fat?
Inside each issue of the Belly Fat Free Newsletter, you will receive easy to understand information that will help you banish stubborn belly fat from your body for good. The Best Part Is... Our Newsletter Is Absolutely Free & All Information is Kept 100% Confidential!
Now, appearance. At the end of the day, this is still okra. Grilled okra isn’t a french fry or a mozzarella stick or any other crunchy, salted, tasty food. However it has to do with as good as a vegetable comes (and I normally love veggies).
Let’s talk a little about okra, prior to I enter why I enjoy spicy grilled okra so much.
Why is Okra Slimy?
Okra gets it slime from mucilage, which is that sticky, slimy compound that seems to ooze from okra. Mucilage is made up of sugar residues called exopolysaccharides and proteins called glycoproteins, both of which thicken when warmed. Mucilage is produced by almost all plants, but okra produces it in much higher quantities (so do other sticky plants– like aloe and licorice root).
When it comes to gumbo– the mucilage acts as a thickening agent, this increased viscosity is great. Buuuuut … it can also make okra feel quite slimy. There’s a reason you do not usually stumbled upon sauteed okra, where there is absolutely nothing to absorb this excess mucilage.
Lowering Okra Slime.
- Pick smaller sized pods.Smaller sized pods = less mucilage = less slime.
- Prepare okra fast over high heat.When you prepare okra rapidly, the mucilage doesn’t have time to develop, and you’ll wind up with a crispy outdoors and an almost velvety inside. (This is why fried okra works so well.).
- Dry okra completely before cooking.If your okra is at all wet when you begin to cook it, it will steam, which will produce more mucilage.
- Cook okra in a single layer. To put it simply, do not crowd the pan! Whether barbecuing or roasting, cook in a single layer, making sure that the outside of each piece of okra is exposed and can prepare quickly.
Why Grill Okra?
Well, like we simply talked about, the biggest technique to decreasing the ‘sliminess’ of okra is to prepare it quickly, over high heat. Grilling is an excellent method to accomplish this– it’s fast and easy.
Barbecuing over high heat indicates some bits get great and charred and crispy (i.e the best part of grilling anything). The seeds have a good little pop, offset by the velvety inside (because high heat = creaminess, not slime!).
Grilled okra is also the perfect side to almost anything you ‘d toss on the grill: burgers (or my favorite. vegetable hamburgers. ), sausage, fish, chicken, etc.. Toss on some ears of corn and these. 3 component grilled potatoes. for a true summer banquet.
Add a little garlic powder, chili cumin, salt, and powder, and toss on the grill.
If you’re cautious and your okra is big, you can lay the okra straight on the grill grates. I normally put mine in a. fish basket. ( Amazon links may be affiliate) or string them on. skewer sticks . Grill for a couple of minutes per side which’s it.
Completely creamy, crunchy, hot grilled okra … no slime permitted.
Believe okra is slimy? Reconsider, with this spicy grilled okra– crispy, velvety, and completely scrumptious.
- 2 pounds fresh okra.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- In a large bowl, integrate okra and olive oil, tossing to coat. Add spices and continue to toss, up until okra is uniformly covered.
- Arrange okra in a single layer on a fish basket or skewer on a stick.
- Grill over medium high heat for 3 minutes with the cover closed. Flip and grill an extra 3 minutes, or up until okra is slightly charred and soft in the.
A Bunsen Burner Bakeshop Original Protocol.
Article source: https://www.bunsenburnerbakery.com/spicy-grilled-okra/