These Roasted Cauliflower Steaks are a great way to prepare a hearty, tasty, vegetarian “steak” that can stand on its own as a delicious plant based entree. It’s also a great alternative to making caulfilower mashed potatoes or roasted cauliflower if you are looking for some new cauliflower side dishes.
We eat a lot of cauliflower in our house since it is a veggie that both my toddler and husband love and these roasted cauliflower steaks are ranking up there are one of my favorite options lately. The edges get caramelized and browned, which brings out a nutty rich flavor that can be hard to develop in cauliflower with other cooking methods. It’s also a great replacement for a traditional steak for vegetarians since it has a meaty texture and stands up to lots of steak sauces and marinades, like the chumichurri in this recipe.
Also, as I try to incorporate more plant based meals, I love coming up with cauliflower steak meal ideas for Meatless Mondays and challenge myself to make even the most hardcore meat eater happy. So far we have tried it with chimichurri, steak sauce, Parmesan cheese and garlic, Middle Eastern seasoning, and teriyaki sauce just to name a few. I have included some more ideas below.
Cauliflower Steak Marinade and Sauce Ideas
More Healthy Recipes & Diet Tips
Are You Ready To Learn Valuable Information That Will Help You Get Rid of Excess Belly Fat?
Inside each issue of the Belly Fat Free Newsletter, you will receive easy to understand information that will help you banish stubborn belly fat from your body for good. The Best Part Is... Our Newsletter Is Absolutely Free & All Information is Kept 100% Confidential!
Sicne cauliflower is a pretty blank slate and can use some extra flavor, I almost always pair it with a quick marinade or a sauce. To be honest, I find that a sauce works just as good, if not better, than a marinade since cauliflower doesn’t absorb marinade that well. Here are some of my favorites that can be used as a sauce, marinade, or both.
- Chimichurri: I have always loved pairing chimichurri with steak, so pairing it a cauliflower steak was a no brainer. The bright sauce made with parsley, cilantro, red wine vinegar, garlic, and a touch of heat is a classic that works every time.
- Teriyaki: The sweet and savory notes of teriyaki sauce work really well for cauliflower. Brush the cauliflower with the teriyaki sauce before baking and drizzle some extra on top before serving. If you want a natural option, check out this healthy homemade teriyaki sauce.
- Parmesan and garlic: It’s hard to beat anything covered in garlic and cheese. Combine the olive oil for the cauliflower steaks with minced garlic and your favorite dried herbs. Brush this on the cauliflower steaks before roasting and then top with Parmesan cheese and lemon juice before serving.
- Middle Eastern: We eat a lot of Middle eastern inspired food and the flavor combination is great for cauliflower. My go-to is using za’atar, a spice blend that has sesame seeds, oregano, thyme, and sumac. You could also make your own Middle Eastern spice blend with cumin, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and allspice.
- Store bought sauces and marinades: Don’t shy away from experimenting with store bought marinades and sauces. Cauliflower takes on flavor well and can be paired with all types of sauce from buffalo sauce to lemon pepper to steak sauce. I also really enjoy them drizzled with these paleo and Whole30 dressings and sauces.
How do you cut a cauliflower into steaks?
The easiest way to cut a cauliflower into steaks is to start by removing the green leaves around the bottom. Make sure you have a nice flat bottom so it stands up on your cutting board. Then cut the cauliflower in half. Moving out from the cut edge, slice the remaining cauliflower into 1-2 staks depending on thickness. For a good size caulfilower you should be able to get 3-4 steaks. You will have cauliflower leftover. Usually I just toss it on the same pan as the cauliflower steaks and serve it on the side or save it for later in the week.
Can I grill these? How long does it take to grill cauliflower steaks?
Absolutely! It takes between 15-20 minutes to a grill a cauliflower steak. Just follow the same instructions as roasting, but place them on the grill instead over medium heat. Depending on the thickness, you will want to grill them for 6-10 minutes per side.
What to serve with cauliflower steaks?
There are so many good options for side dishes to serve with cauliflower steaks. Since the cauliflower on its own isn’t always filling, I almost always reach for a whole grain or legume on the side. Think about using farro, quionoa, rice, couscous, beans, or lentils. Polenta is another great option, especially with the roasted cauliflower steaks. Make up a big batch of creamy polenta, some roasted tomatoes, roasted cauliflower steaks, and fresh basil and you have a comfort meal you will want to eat again and again.
Do you enjoy making cauliflower steaks? What’s your favorite way to prepare them. Let us know in the comments below.
Article source: https://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-steaks
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!