Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole is a delicious, low carb alternative to baked pasta dishes that’s made with tender spaghetti squash, a homemade meat sauce, and fresh mozzarella.
Spaghetti squash has been a mainstay in my diet for years now and I am happy to report I am finally beginning to get the whole family to enjoy it. In the past, I would usually make a pasta dish using spaghetti squash for me and regular pasta for everyone else. Sometimes I would sneak some spaghetti squash into their pasta to add extra veggies, but many times I would just prepare the sauce separately so I could easily make both.
Last week I had a rare night home alone and decided to make this spaghetti squash casserole since I was craving baked pasta and let’s be honest, cheese. Instead of ordering out for a calorie bomb, which was definitely a tempation as I contemplated a night of Netflix, pasta, and wine; I decided to make a healtheir version at home.
More Healthy Recipes & Diet Tips
Are You Ready To Learn Valuable Information That Will Help You Get Rid of Excess Belly Fat?
Inside each issue of the Belly Fat Free Newsletter, you will receive easy to understand information that will help you banish stubborn belly fat from your body for good. The Best Part Is... Our Newsletter Is Absolutely Free & All Information is Kept 100% Confidential!
This meant I could still enjoy baked pasta, Netflix, and wine – just without the guilt. So I whipped together a quick bolognese, threw my spaghetti squash in the microwave for quick cooking, and then tossed everything together with some fresh mozzarella and baked it in the oven. Then happily sank into the couch and relished my quiet evening at home alone. It was seriously amazing.
Then the next day to my surprise, when I pulled out my leftovers for lunch, everyone was interested in trying them. I think it’s because it looked so much like the baked pasta I sometimes make. They were all shocked to learn it was only spaghetti squash and even more surprised that they liked it. Luckily I had made a big batch so there was plenty to go around.
Thinking about making this Italian Spaghetti Squash Casserole? Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Although I love the sweetness of spaghetti squash, this recipe would also work with cooked zucchini noodles. You could also throw in some cooked pasta if you wanted, but I guarantee you don’t need it.
- Personally I love the creaminess of fresh mozzarella, but you can use any cheese you like. Regular shredded mozzarella, Parmesan, and even goat cheese would all be delicious.
- If you can, try and buy crushed San Marzano tomatoes for this recipe. They are sweeter and less acidic than standard tomatoes and mean you will have a sweeter sauce without having to add any sugar.
- Ground beef, turkey, chicken, sausage, or vegetarian crumbles are all options when it comes to protein for this dish. You could even use white beans for a natural, plant based protein source.
- If you need a shortcut, you can use jarred marinara sauce for this recipe. Just look for one with no added sugar that has the most natural ingredient list as possible.
Looking for more spaghetti squash dishes?
Here are some of the products and tools I used in creating this recipe:
- Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes: If you can find San Marzano crusted tomatoes, I highly recommend using them as they will make a much better sauce than a traditional canned tomato since they are naturally sweeter and less acidic.
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!