This cheesy vegan cauliflower potato soup is creamy, filling and bursting with flavour. It’s also gluten-free, Whole30 approved and requires just 1 hour and 10 ingredients.
Soup season is out in full force here thanks to the awful weather we’ve been having. My easy pumpkin soup has been an absolute lifesaver recently and if it’s not helping me stay warm, my this vegan chili is.
But after alternating between the two for a few months, it’s time to branch out. Which is where this cheesy vegan cauliflower potato soup comes in.
The recipe for this soup is pretty simple and only calls for 10 ingredients and about an hour.
Plain old cauliflower soup didn’t sound that appealing so I decided to spice it up a bit. First, I roasted the cauliflower, along with potatoes, a bulb of garlic, some chopped onion and a few sprigs of rosemary.
Then I cooked everything in some veggie stock for even more flavour, blended the soup to creamy perfection and added nutritional yeast for that vegan cheese flavour we all know and love.
If you’d asked me to choose between cauliflower and broccoli, before this soup I’d have said broccoli. Cauliflower’s just always been bland and oddly unpleasant to me and I tend to steer clear of it.
But it seems that my strange need to experiment with foods I don’t usually enjoy is finally paying off. First these chickpea lettuce wraps blew my mind and now this vegan cauliflower potato soup is doing it again.
The soup is rich, creamy, filling, flavourful and perfect for warming up on cold winter evenings. I’m almost done with the first batch and I’m actually looking forward to adding it to my soup and chili rotation.
Turns out cauliflower can be tasty AF when it wants to be.
More winter favourites:
- 1 bulb of garlic
- ½ a head of cauliflower, broken up into smaller florets
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 – 3 sprigs of rosemary
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp prepared mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- almond milk to thin the soup if necessary
- chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F, grease a roasting pan or line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Peel and discard the outer leaves from the garlic, leaving the skin intact. Cut about ¼ – ½ inch from the top of the head of garlic, exposing the individual cloves
- Add the garlic, cauliflower florets, potatoes, rosemary and ½ the chopped onion to the roasting pan or baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil. Be sure to rub the oil into the garlic so the top is completely coated then cover the garlic with foil
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the veggies are tender and starting to brown and the garlic is soft
- Allow the garlic to cool for a few minutes, then use a fork or your fingertips to squeeze the softened garlic from the skin
- Optional: reserve ½ cup of roasted veggies for topping the soup
- Add remaining olive oil to a large saucepan and saute remaining onion until tender, about 3 minutes
- Add roasted cauliflower, potatoes, onions, rosemary leaves and garlic to the pot, along with veggie stock, stir and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until veggies are tender
- Allow the soup to cool slightly before blending in batches. Be sure not to fill your blender all the way to avoid accidents when processing the hot soup
- Return the pureed soup to the pot then whisk in the nutritional yeast and mustard
- Optional: At this point you can also thin the soup out using almond milk or water, if desired. I prefer my soup on the thick side so I left it as is
- Taste and adjust seasonings and continue to stir until heated through
- Serve with chives and reserved roasted veggies
Try this soup with some rosemary garlic chickpea croutons!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love these
Article source: http://www.exsloth.com/vegan-cauliflower-potato-soup/
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!