Eating for Weight Control
Medifast Meals and the Medifast 5 & 1 Plan will help you get to your healthy weight goal quickly and safely. But reaching that goal is just the beginning.
Your Health Coach will support you as you harness the nutritional principles you need to keep your weight from returning, allowing you to enjoy your new healthy weight for the long term.
Two vital principles
Your long-term healthy eating strategy depends on two principles:
- Controlling calorie intake through portion control and proper food choices
- Eating low glycemic index foods—those that don’t turn on the body’s “insulin pump.”
Building on this
Now you can build on these principles as you teach yourself how to eat properly—whether you’re at home, on the road, or at a nice restaurant.
- Starches – Choose lower glycemic index and whole-grain choices over more refined and processed (white flour, commercial baked) goods.
- Protein – Choose lean cuts that are lower in saturated fat like buffalo, pork loin, skinless white poultry, fish, and meatless choices like tofu and low-fat soy burgers.
- Fruits – Choose low glycemic index fruits like blackberries, cherries, and citrus, and avoid fruit canned with syrup and fruit juices, which are very high in sugar and may contain high fructose corn syrup.
- Vegetables – Choose low glycemic index vegetables like salad greens, zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach instead of veggies like peas, corn, taro, and carrots.
- Fats – Choose healthy oils like olive and canola and those high in omega-3 fatty acids, rather than unhealthy fats like butter, trans-fats, and hydrogenated oils (common in processed foods).
- Legumes – Choose lower glycemic index legumes like lentils, soybeans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), and black beans; peas, kidney beans, lima beans, and white beans are also good choices.
- Water – Water is essential to the proper function of organs and systems, removing wastes and toxins from the body. You should drink at least 64 ounces of water every day.
A healthy schedule
Once you reach your healthy weight on the Medifast 5 & 1 Plan, it helps to continue to eat every two to three hours by following our Maintenance plan:
- Breakfast (300 – 400 calories)
- Mid-Morning fueling (100 calories)
- Lunch (100 – 200 calories)
- Mid-Afternoon fueling (100 calories)
- Dinner (400 calories)
- Evening fueling (100 calories)