Deliciously tender beef cooked in a pressure cooker with low-carb vegetables, in super creamy grain-free tomato sauce. This is comfort cooking at its best.
What I love most about it is that you can make the whole meal in the Instant Pot! In just 90 minutes you’ve got a tasty keto dish with fall-apart meat and juicy vegetables cooked to perfection.
The only extra work is thickening the sauce but it’s totally worth it. Since there is no flour allowed on a keto diet, most low-carb stews are thin and runny. That’s not the case with this recipe.
Egg yolks are a fantastic alternative to flour resulting in super creamy sauce without the extra carbs.
Nutritional values (per serving, about 2 cups)
|of which Saturated||14.8||grams|
|Magnesium||65||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||1,074||mg (54% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (28%), fat (65%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.2 kg boneless beef such as brisket or stewing steak (2.65 lb)
- 1 rutabaga (swede), peeled and diced (400 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 3 kohlrabi or turnips, peeled and diced (600 g/ 1.3 lb)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (160 g/ 5.6 oz)
- 2 tbsp ghee or duck fat (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 can unsweetened tomatoes or chopped fresh tomatoes (400 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 1/2 cup water (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
Note: Not sure what to do with the leftover egg whites? Try one of the options listed in my Keto Lemon Curd recipe!
- Peel and dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cut the beef into large 2-inch (5 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Peel the rutabaga and kohlrabi (or use turnips instead of kohlrabi). Cut them into about 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Chop the celery stalks. Set all the vegetables aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and add the onion (use 6 or 8-quart/L Instant Pot). Cook for just 3 minutes, until fragrant and then add the minced garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the beef chunks and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned from all sides while stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the paprika, allspice, chopped rutabaga, kohlrabi and chopped celery stalks.
- Mix until combined and add the canned tomatoes. Turn the Sauté off.
- Cover with a lid and set to Manual. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the program has finished, let the steam release naturally for 15-20 minutes, and then turn the valve to venting to release the remaining steam.
- To make the creamy sauce, whisk the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of water. Keep the egg whites for another recipe (see suggestions listed in my Keto Lemon Curd).
- Strain the juices into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Temper the red sauce into the egg yolk mixture while whisking.
- When you add about half of the red sauce, return everything into the saucepan with the remaining red sauce. Cook while stirring for 4-6 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- If the sauce is not smooth or has curdled, use an immersion blender and process until smooth and creamy (be careful not to get burnt!).
- Pour the creamy sauce back into the pot with the cooked meat & vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately (about 2 cups per serving) with freshly chopped parsley. To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days. I haven’t tried freezing it and I’m not sure whether the sauce would separate if you do. You could divide the mixture into single-serving containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, try some of the following alternatives:
More Healthy Recipes & Diet Tips
Are You Ready To Learn Valuable Information That Will Help You Get Rid of Excess Belly Fat?
Inside each issue of the Belly Fat Free Newsletter, you will receive easy to understand information that will help you banish stubborn belly fat from your body for good. The Best Part Is... Our Newsletter Is Absolutely Free & All Information is Kept 100% Confidential!
Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F. Place all ingredients in a large baking dish (optionally you can brown the onion, garlic and meat). Cover with foil or a lid and bake for 4 hours.
Add some water if needed (check half way through to ensure the haven’t dried out). After 4 hours, remove the foil and increase the temperature to 200 °C/ 400 °F. Cook for another 15-20 minutes. Then, follow the instructions from step 8.
Grease a large Dutch oven (6 -quart/L or more) with ghee. Add chopped onion and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for a minute. Add the chopped rutabaga, kohlrabi, celery, salt, pepper, paprika, allspice and tomatoes. Add 1-2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over a high heat and then turn down to low.
Cook for 4 hours, checking every hour to ensure there is enough juices. If needed, add a cup or two more water. When done, take off the heat. Optionally, crisp up in the oven preheated to 200 °C/ 400 °F for 15-20 minutes. Then, follow the instructions from step 8.
Optionally, you can brown the onion, garlic and meat before adding into the slow cooker. Place all ingredients in the slow cooker (6 -quart/L or more).
Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Optionally, crisp up in the oven preheated to 200 °C/ 400 °F for 15-20 minutes. Then, follow the instructions from step 8
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!